Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 3 - Cardio Power and Resistance

I was off from work for my first two days of Insanity.  That was not the case today.  My alarm went off at 5:45 AM and I had to rollllll myself out of bed because every muscle in my body was too sore for me to sit up.  I spend a lot of time looking through a microscope at work but luckily I do get to move around a fair amount so my muscles did loosen up a bit throughout the day.  However, I was drinking some tea during my lunch break and some of it went down my windpipe.  Coughing was TORTURE because of my sore abs.

I was dreading today's workout.  Cardio Power and Resistance just does not have a nice ring to it.  It actually wasn't that bad.  I'm not sure if it was because I was dogging it or because I'm just getting used to how the program is set up and learning to pace myself.  Unfortunately I forgot to turn on my damn heart rate monitor so we may never know...  It was still taking readings, so I could glance down at it now and again to make sure my heart rate wasn't too high like yesterday, but it wasn't storing the readings so I don't have my average heart rate and can only estimate my calories burned.  Usually when I checked my heart rate it was in the 170s or 180s so I was in the right range, I think.

The warm up was a little different this time with the addition of Power Jacks (in the fit test), Log Jumps which are basically sprints with some jumping side to side and vertical jumps which are exactly how they sound. (sorry, I don't have time to link videos today.  Maybe I will edit this in the future to add them).  The warm up also included jogs, 1-2-3s, butt kicks and high knees.  No problem!  I was actually starting to feel a little cocky towards the end of the warm up.

The first circuit contained Power Jumps (see fit test), Belt KicksHit the Floor, and V Push Ups.  I did fine for the first three moves and I could really feel a difference in my form for the Power Jumps when compared to the day 1 Fit Test.  I was scratching my head through the first round of V Push Ups just wonder how to get in the right position but I figured it out and actually was able to do most of the other reps.  After the third set Shaun throws in some triceps dips,  one leg triceps dips and ball triceps push ups.  My triceps are non existent so this was not cool, Shaun. I did as many as I could but it felt like my triceps were about to tear so I had to get my but on the floor and do some modified dips.

The next circuit consisted of Hurdle Jumps, Globe Jumps, Moving Push Ups and Floor Sprints.  I think we've seen some of these before.  After obliterating my triceps I was not able to do one normal moving push up and ended up doing as many knee push ups as I could (not many).

Finally, the last circuit was short, a few reps of "8 hop squats/8 push ups".  Hop squats were no problem.  You get into a squat position and hop eight times.  Fun!  Then you drop and give Shaun 8!  Literally drop, there was very little time between the hops and push ups.  Again, I had to do knee push ups.  We did this a few times and then finished up with some cool down stretches.

I'm feeling better about the program after today's workout.  I think a few factors probably contributed, including working out in the afternoon after work instead of first thing in the morning, pacing myself and focusing more on form (still need a lot of work on this) and understanding the program more.  I think my cardiovascular system is in pretty decent shape from all the running I did over the past year and a half.  My main hurdle is building up my strength so my muscles can carry me through the workout.

Tomorrow is Cardio Recovery.  I like the sound of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment